Monday, July 17, 2017

Fun week of training, interviews and fulfilling the missionary purpose

We truly have fun each week.  We awake each morning wondering what amazing things we will see or do.  Each day is full of surprises.  It is also true with our missionaries.  Here's something a sister missionary shared in a recent email to her president:
And this week [my companion] has been doing really well. She has tried super hard to overcome the little things that bug her and show love. It has been amazing. She really is trying! There are still some difficult things, but we're at a point where we can talk it out together with understanding. I had an incredible experience with her this week actually. So we were having a bit of an argument, and it's in Korean, so it was pretty difficult for me. I had ideas of what I wanted to say in my head forming, but my tongue would just choke in my mouth and I couldn't say what I wanted to. I wanted to say something just logical like "I'm right, you're wrong" kind of thing and prove my point, but no it just was not happening. I was really frustrated, but I felt like I should just slow down and think about what I was saying. And all that came out was "I love you, I understand, I'm sorry" kind of thing. And then literally president, like a light switch came the gift of tongues. I could explain myself, I could understand her, and our relationship progressed, we solved whatever problem we were having. It was an incredible, undeniable witness of God's power. Literally like day and night. When I tried to speak with the spirit of contention, I could not. Words choked in my mouth. But when I wanted to speak with charity and understanding, the words came so easily. I am so grateful that Heavenly Father has given me the opportunity to speak Korean to my companion so I can think more before I speak! That is something I definitely need to improve on, so I'm grateful that we have this language barrier. If I would have been able to argue what I wanted to, nothing would've improved. Amazing.

They go through amazing growing experiences.  We tell them this is a safe place to learn.  Mistakes can be overcome quickly.  If they were married or had children, some of the mistakes could be more catastrophic.  In the mission field, they may make a major mistake, but they can try to overcome it and then learn from another companion.

We completed interviews with the last zone this week.  Amazing people!





We then had a little follow up training to see how the new missionaries that came in five weeks ago are doing.  We reviewed rules, goals, the mission vision, companionship relations, etc.  It was a great time with them.  Some are still a little shell shocked by the experience, but growing and maturing.

We finally interviewed the three young elders closest to us.  For this transfer we've had three Assistants.  I was unsure why we had three assistants, but it became clear later it was a good idea as we had other issues where three was the right number.  A way is always made clear.
Sunday we were able to witness the baptism of two young women of bright countenance.  We had fun watching the event.  I wish we could share the personal miracles that brought these young ladies to the church.  Let's just say the Lord leads his children to the right place at the right time.

The missionary purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and his Atonement, repentance, baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end.  These four sisters and a few others who had transferred to other areas did the inviting and these ladies truly responded.  What a day.

We had a sad day Sunday as well as we had to allow a sweet sister return home to get some attention on her health.  We hope it will be only for a few weeks at most and she can return to us.  She has been a miracle worker and a joy to everyone she has served with and served.  We hope we get her back soon.  She is a bright light in any room she enters.

We created as well as saw some interesting things this week.  Many know how much I like to grill.  We have a new grill, but it doesn't have the space to cook one of my favorites, Beer Can Chicken.  As you would guess I don't use Beer.  However, I did use a RootBeer can and filled it with Apple Juice and cooked it in the over.  It almost looks like he is standing there happy to be our meal!
One day Terri had me hurry over to the window with the camera to capture the truck below.  This guy certainly uses every inch of space on his truck to market his goods.  You can see him in the cab with one of his own hats on.  I wish the phone/electrical lines were not in the way.  It's the best I could do.

We're in the midst of the rainy season.  We're sure the missionaries have been sending messages home about their experiences in the rain.  It can put down five to ten inches of rain in not time.  It comes in at all angles and the missionaries get pretty soaked. By the next day, there is little sign of any rain because their drainage systems are pretty remarkable.  While taking a morning jog along the creek, it was possible to see how the water had been up four to six feet the night before by the way the grass had been pushed down.  However, the view is always amazing.


Running at the Olympic Park is always amazing as well. Just can't get enough of the roses!

We periodically get emails from you or comments on Facebook about what you see here.  Please feel free to share as broadly as you like.  We hope you are seeing someone important to you and can enjoy a little of what they are seeing while serving here.  We occasionally get comments from them about things they see or hear and only wish we were there with a camera.  We ask them not to look like tourists except on preparation day.  They capture a few that they like to share with you.
Thank you for your love and support.