Sunday, November 20, 2016

Calmer Week

As you can see from this photo the weather is cooling.  The dogs are now in heavy down jackets, the leaves are pretty much done falling.  Many folks are done with raising children so they now find another living animal to pamper. 
While Terri I were waiting for pictures to be printed we found a pet store.  They actually had snails for sale with the hamsters, mice, hedgehogs and birds!  I didn't take a picture, but I was surprised.  That's the pet for me and the sedate life style I prefer...

Here's another occupation that would be fun.  This little lady, like others has a motorized cart that putts around the streets selling health drinks, cold coffee, yogurt drinks, etc. With the lack of little neighborhoods for the ice cream man, she takes it to the various business keepers.

We periodically attempt to attend district meetings with 10 or 12 missionaries to get a sense for the training they are doing for each other.  It starts in our Missionary Leadership Council, is shared in the zone meetings with all missionaries and there are follow up training discussions in the district meetings.  Terri was more interested (rightfully so) in the happiness of the missionaries while I'm always wondering what they are teaching and learning.  I'm the stick in the mud.  She likes to artfully pose (strategically place as she calls it) the missionaries.
The sisters seem to enjoy it. 

The elders, on the other hand, are more like me, a little more reserved.
Someone donated some tangerines to the cause and we had a treat after the meeting.  Of course, there had to be additional poses imposed here!

They are good sports and they like a little distraction...
We drove to another area to deliver goods to missionaries and had a walk in the town with a few sisters.  This little area has some small art sculptures of families in the old days.  Sorry it is so dark.
We have a sister from Thailand and a sister from Missouri.  They are working so well together!  The poor sister from Thailand has never faced temperatures this low and we're still in the 40's most of the time!  I hope we have a mild winter for her sake as well as the missionaries from the Philippines!

While reading the weekly emails from the missionaries I found a few items that might be truly inspirational to any who reads them:

Wonderful message about setting goals and keeping them!!!   Yesterday is our fast and testimony Sunday. I am very grateful for that opportunity that I can again ask Heavenly Father's help to be a better missionary. Before my mission, I have already set a goal that I will always share my testimony every first Sunday of the month. One thing I have realized and learned yesterday is that because I have set a goal it pushes me to do it no matter what. I was so nervous and scared to get up and share my testimony in Korean. But then, I still did it because I don't want to break the goal that I have set. I walked up, started crying (feeling nervous) and shared my testimony about Heavenly Father and His plan. I also express my love and thanks for all the members in our ward because I have received warm clothes and accessories and boots from them this week. I also did lots of practice lessons with the members. I told them that I can feel Heavenly Father's love for me through them. After sacrament meeting, lots of members came to me and expressed their love for me. They even told me that I can always ask them questions to better learn and understand the language. One mother told me also that all the sisters in our ward are worried for me and are always praying for me.
We have a few who set goals and don't end their day until they achieve them.

Our missionaries face people who are less than subtle in their feelings about their religion and will seek our young missionaries with less than kind words.  However, they are very sweet in their responses:

We were standing on a crowded subway, saying hello to people around us. I noticed a man who got up and came to stand closer to us. He saw our name tags and our book of Mormons. Then he tried speaking English to us. He started with, " I Christian. You no." Then he drew an X in the air with his finger. I told him that we were also Christians. Then he proceeded to tell us that we were not. In Korean I politely told him that our beliefs were different. Once I realized we could speak Korean, he switched to some more detailed words in Korean. He continued for a good 15 minutes telling us what was "wrong" with our church, in front of all of the people on the subway. We tried to stay calm and state our beliefs and tell him why we were here. We know this message is true! We know it can bless his life and all the people in Korea. But he would not budge. He was very upset with us and told us some things that could have easily offended us, and our testimonies. But, the amazing thing is that they didn't! No matter how many times he told us to take off our name tags and throw away our Book of Mormons, we felt the spirit strong, testifying that our words were true. We cannot and will not change! No matter what he said. I am so thankful for the spirit testifying to us and for the chance I had to feel the love and strength of God as we testified. It was a moment that I will not forget. I am very thankful. I know this is true! God is mindful of us and our every situation. I also was able to feel the love of God for that man. Although he was not being very kind, or following Christ's example very well, I know that God still loves him and wants what is best for him. I know something good will come from this experience. Maybe someone else on the subway will have felt our testimonies and the Spirit testify.

Today we were able to be at baptism of a young lady who attended an English class taught by our four missionaries in that building.  She thought they were so nice so she started asking questions about their purpose in Korea.  She basically felt their answers were so filled with love she wanted to know more.  She's about 18 years of age.  The other 12 or so young women attending that church building took her in and they became fast friends. We had a great time together with her.  The young women sang to her, a missionary played his violin, and the spirit in the room was amazing.  Afterwards, as they love to do, they had a little get together and he played more music.
Afterwards, Terri had the opportunity posing the young missionaries again.  They are great sports!  They know we truly love them and want them to have some fun in this great work.

this picture reminded her of the book, "Ten Apples Up On Top". 



Finally, we drove by the venue this week of some of the Olympic events from 1988.  We only live a couple of miles away, but this is the closest we've been.  They could easily host another Olympics here given the care they give things.  Oh, wait, they're doing the winter events here in 2018!  We'll be here, but I don't believe we'll be involved!
This next week is the great Thanksgiving holiday in the US.  We won't have an official day here, but we will have a special day with a turkey on Wednesday.  We will be thinking of all our loved ones and friends and hope they have a wonderful holiday.  I don't need a holiday for me to remember how thankful I am for the rich blessings in my life.  However, having such a day gives us time to pause and truly reflect in the busyness of life!  We love you all and wish you the happiest of Thanksgivings!